Wednesday, May 7, 2008

virtualbox + w2k + freestyle = argh!

I'm not too bad at computers, but I can't get virtualbox to recognise my win2k install disk at all. Though the floppy images work OK. I'l probably end up installing it on a spare hard drive and then imaging it off that, sigh.
In trying to install virtualbox the first time, I nuked my groups, bar virtualbox, so I had no sudo, cdrom access, nothing. Lucky I had a backup of my partition, so I restored from that. The update to Hardy barfed anyway, because I ran out of room (on a nearly 4 gig partition! sheesh!)

Anyway, this blog is supposed to be about Non-Photorealistic Rendering, so here is another dissection of a load of noodles I found on www.blenderartist.org in the forums.


Anyway, from top to bottom, the first node is for the background, the second (yellow) is for the colour of the sun, the next one along (the circle) is what the yellow is added to for the main bit of the sun , the face below that is the sun's features again , it gets added to the other sun bit (white with rays) which is coloured by the yellow. The red is added on top for some more colour, and then the part below is what is used to texture the yellow bits and the red bits, as well as the background a bit. The ramps are used to block certain bits of the texture from the mask, they are then passed through those parts and then composited together. This means you only need one texture to modify the whole lot.
I've tried making this myself, but it didn't turn out quite as good as this one is. I'm not sure if the pictures (any of them? all of them? none of them?) have an alpha channel which I'd missed out. Oh well. I get the main gist and could probably make my own if I wanted to. All in all, its a pretty clever idea :)
Sadly, I can't remember who made this, I'll have to hunt it up.


Edit:
I've got Freestyle to run on Virtual obx, in a win2k environment. It was mostly me being stupid (it needed the floppy images to install, plus you need to install the host extensions into the virtual machine, from the website). That aside, it keeps on crashing when I try to render it. Oh well, I'll have to wait, or get an older version which perhaps will work better.

No comments: