Saturday, March 19, 2016

On the road again...

Wow, so I'm back onto working on my arcade box again. I've painted the cabinet (except I've made a huge scratch down the side plus not spraypainted the top of the underside, oops).
 On the plus side, the keyboard and joystick still work. I've redone the wiring so its no longer all tangled up.
I've found the hard drive and creaked out, because my install is no longer on it, and I thought all of my configs and files were lost! it turns out I'd installed windows 10 on the drive so I could get MarI/O to work. But now I have to reinstall debian and copy over the config files again.
 And then check which key does what, so I can fix it all up. I'm not actually sure I got that far, having a quick look at the advancemame config, it all looks wrong. Hmm.
 However, another bonus is I got the marquee printed up, and it actually looks pretty good when it is installed in the case! Plus I have (really ugly brown) rubber feet for the unit, which I purchased from a hardware shop. Yay me.
 I'll have to make sure I take an image of the hard drive, so when it dies I can redo it more easily. The other option I was exploring was making a bootable USB. The current motherboard I'm using is so old it won't boot to USB (but it was free, so who cares, right?)  This way I can update it easily with new ROMs when I like, or do patching or remove ROMs I don't like etc...

No comments: