Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Arcade update

So, I've started building my arcade again. Recent set backs have included:

 A nice big scratch down the side of the case. I just need to respray it.

 Hardware problems, the motherboard and screen have been in storage for 2 years and don't go any more. I've got a replacement board from an old work computer, but no screen yet.

A framebuffer issue with advmenu. The driver for the old board seemed to have a compatible framebuffer driver, but the current board doesn't. I did extensive research but was unable to find a solution.I believe the solution may be to either use svgalib or use an xwindows driver to allow advmenu to display. What I've done instead is install groovyarcade (after trying the advance CD distribution, which I couldn't compile). I've set up groovyarcade with all of my settings files, installed fceux and updated advmenu to the most recent version.
 Even on groovyarcade, you need to run advmenu under xwindows (using the 'startx' command) as it has the same framebuffer issue. I'll test it out with svgalib and see if I can figure out how to get advmenu going with windows, as a window manager.

No comments: