Wednesday, March 11, 2020

the Zug under the rug

We first found out about the Zug under the rug when we one of our cats went missing. We found half of her in a room we didn't use much, by following the smell. I fetched a long handled brush and shovel from the kitchen, wondering where the other half of the cat was. The Zug under the rug tried to take the brush, and I left the room pretty quickly, to find my brother Carl. I could hear the Zug under the rug scrabbling around, trying to eat the brush, instead slapping it against chairs and knocking over lamps in its futile attempt. I guess this is what made it frustrated and precipitated what happened after.
 So I found Carl in the bathroom, brushing his teeth with the vigour of youth, and easily persuaded him to come take a look. On our way back we speculated how the Zug under the rug had gotten into the house (the broken window downstairs Dad had never repaired, or some other hole small enough to miss, but large enough to enter by).
By this time the Zug under the rug was seemingly content again, having consumed, or not, the long handled brush. Carl speculated about what kind of prey a Zug under a rug would have in the wild, if it was leaving half chewed cats out to attract more things to eat.
 I wondered if we could get it out by the usual trick, with scalding water, or wait it out until it died. Not much is known about Zugs under rugs, though Carl pointed out some crocodiles only need to eat once a year, so maybe it just needed half of the cat.
 By this time we were at the door, having taken about the most round about way from the bathroom to the lounge you could imagine. Carl was wearing a catchers mask, some fireproof gloves and a butchers apron we'd found last summer. I had the hard hat, a painters facemask and some shin guards.
 I looked at Carl, and he motioned for me to open the door, while he raised the ice hockey stick. We'd had a tussle about who would open the door, but in the end he had won by sitting on me.
 I raised the iron fryingpan in one hand, grabbed the door handle, and pushed the door open.

No comments: